Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankfulness

Ephesians:5:20  Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Thankfulness is not a new concept in my life. But's it's one I am choosing to focus on at this time. I tell you it's not easy to be thankful for everything. I am not at the point where I can be thankful for Rachel's cancer. Or I find it hard to be thankful for the people who have hurt me or my children. But there is so much more around me and in my life that I can be thankful for. A practise I have been focusing on in the last few days is to stop my negative thoughts and thank God for something (anything). It can be as simple as thanking him for clear roads ( and these days in London that is a rare thing). When I start complaining about someone in my mind I stop and thank God. A devotional I have been reading says that when my mind is occupied with thanking God, I have no time for worrying or complaining. And that negative patterns will grow weaker and weaker. And while I can not say "thank you God for cancer" , I can say thank you for:

  • Rachel's friends that have been faithful in visiting
  • Pastor Steve and Pastor Mark who preach God's word and have been very supportive
  • Wonderful caring nurses
  • Cheryl Carr who faithfully sends cards
  • My children who make me smile
  • Lydia who dropped off some beautiful Christmas arrangements
  • All the amazing groups who cook and bake for the Ronald Mcdonald house
  • visits with my friends
  • music
  • the hawk that flies by our window every once in a while
  • that happy cashier
  • Starbucks :)
  • people that smile at me
  • God's forgiveness
  • comfy sweats
What can you be thankful for today????? It's all around you. Practise it and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment