Friday, October 11, 2013

Confronting the lie: God won’t give you more than you can handle

Confronting the lie: God won’t give you more than you can handle

I was reading this the other day and I felt like I could have written this. I have wondered about the "God won't give you more than you can handle" statement that I hear so often. Barry was reading a book this summer from the lead singer of Casting Crowns and in the book it was mentioned that this is not a biblical statement.  I used to hang on to that statement and think that since I am such a weak person God won't give me a lot to handle. Or, God knows I can't handle that so I am safe. What false thinking that was.
But I do know that sometimes life gets to the point that all that is left to do is completely trust in God because there is absolutely nothing I as a human being can do to change the circumstances around me. Nothing!!!!  I can not in my own strength get rid of Rachel's cancer. I can not make this happen any faster. I could not keep dad alive and well. I can not make my children follow God ( i can teach them about God and encourage them). I can not fix the issues and hurts in my church which has made this journey with Rachel much harder.
What can I do? Cry out to God. Move forward each day in His strength. Take the small blessings and rejoice in them. Yell and scream at God in some moments when I am utterly done. And in the next moment take his hand and move forward. Learn how to rest completely in God's large capable arms.

2 comments:

  1. That was amazingly said, Elsie. Thank-you for being so open and sharing. My prayers are with you and your family.
    Love, Julia Klassen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I think I'm supposed to be encouraging you yet here you are encouraging me! I am so thankful to see you hanging in there with God even though, from a human perspective, this all seems virtually impossible. You obviously are remembering and applying the verse, Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Your friend, Deb Heinrichs

    ReplyDelete